Monday, January 17, 2011

Organization skills

Thanks to having done the recaps of all the major players in card making, I got organized. I was already fairly organized with my Mariners cards, but now I'm starting to actually get on the right track. As I was finding cards to show you guys, I was able to binder many of the cards that have come to me in trades in the last year. The next step of the process was to finish and update my checklist spreadsheets. Mission accomplished last night.

Now comes the decision of what to do with extra Mariners cards, and what do with cards that are from oddball makers, subsets, inserts etc. What would my fellow bloggers do? Would you binder them, would you put them in boxes in chronological order and set them aside? I really want to get my Mariners cards finished organized and then work on trying to organize the rest of my cards by team to ease the hassle of finding cards when I trying to set up trades with everyone. Let me know what everyone thinks they would do in my predicament, I'm open to all suggestions...

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, organization. The never ending process.

    I've adopted this tactic:

    All of the sets that I explicitly collect (e.g. the ones that I go after every year and try to get team sets or master sets of) go in Binders.

    Other sets, including oddball sets, go in chronological order into a large box (1600ct.?). Many of these cards have come to me as the result of trades or random shipments or who knows what else.

    It so happens that I will complete some of these lesser sets without really trying, or will get really close and only have a few cards to top them off. In these instances I will put the team set into a team bag, and stick it back in its appropriate place in the box.

    It's not a perfect system, but there is only so much room for cards in Binders, so I prefer to save that space for cards I really care about an not, say, 1991 Fleer. Meanwhile, it allows me to keep track of all of my other cards and easily access specific years and sets without too much trouble.

    Of course, my organization style is always changing, so take it for what its worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oddballs go in a big box in order by year. (with yearly separators) If I finish an oddball set that is 54 or more cards than I put it in a binder. This last practice made me go to having a binder for each year rather than a binder by company like I used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My technique requires a lot of binders.

    Any and all cards -- oddballs, inserts, whatever -- that feature my favorite team, go in a binder, in chronological order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my Mets doubles I put into boxes and do doubles for doubles trades with other Mets collectors.

    Inserts and parallels I have in their own binder that will one day be organized.

    Oddballs I honestly haven't figured out yet. I have them in a separate binder as well, but no organization plan for them yet.

    ReplyDelete