Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Taken for a ride

I hear a name over and over this year that makes me sick to my stomach. Knowing that hind sight is 20/20, would you have traded this guy when he was 20 years old?

That's what Bill Bavasi and the Mariners did back in 2006. I know you're thinking they must have gotten something for a good fielder that is young and waiting to bust out of AAA, right? How about this 36 year old washed up DH that hit .195 for the Mariners?

That's right, the now ESPN analyst that has been there since the end of the 2006 season was what we wanted for a young player that has become a pretty household name and an ALL-STAR. I guess it's safe to say that Mark Shapiro got the better of that deal, not to mention the deal he made to get Shin-soo Choo from us too.

I know that prospects are hard to predict, and that's why I'm glad to have Jack Z in the GM chair now. At least Jack has a clue about talent.

2 comments:

  1. Perez is actually the new hitting coach of the Marlins. He went over there in June when the staff underwent an overhaul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly these aren't the only two trades that have been completed by the Mariners and Indians in recent years. Another is the Branyan to Seattle for Ezekial Carerra last summer. Even though I and other fans of Cleveland have loved the outcomes of the trades, I can understand the frustration of Mariners fans.

    ReplyDelete