Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's better to receive than give

I know it sounds selfish, but I'm not talking about myself. That honor would go to King Felix, getting a hit for himself and giving hardly any to the Marlins. Last night at Safeco Field and for the weekend, the Florida Marlins are the "home team." That means NL rules. In the history of Safeco Field, only once has a pitcher stepped into the batter's box. On July 31, 2000 Hipilito Pichardo of the Boston Red Sox had to step in because of a double switch. He would see five pitches and be struck out by Jose Paniagua of the Mariners. Last night, the Mariners were able to get Felix Hernandez to the plate before the Marlins' Ricky Nolasco. On an 0-1 count, Felix would reach out and hit a ball through the hole and get a single to right field.

Felix was a little shaky in the beginning, but he settled down and shut down the home team. His line for the night would end up looking like this: 8 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K, 115 pitches. Yes he gave up TWO hits, and collected a base hit for himself. Felix did have a bigger hit on June 23, 2008 in Shea Stadium against Johan Santana, hitting a grand slam off him.


I kind of like the idea of maybe changing things  up with interleague play. How about NL rules in AL parks, and DH's and AL rules in the NL parks. Something to think about. It looks like my son and I might have a boy's night tonight and head to the Safe to watch some history. If so, I will have the camera with me for some history catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment