Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Am I making assumptions too soon??

I'm curious to know if Ichiro is a lock for the Hall of Fame? Matt over at Heartbreaking Cards of Staggering Genius is keeping a daily update of the pursuit of 200 hits. We won't talk about the second part of the quest for 100 losses. It got me to thinking after a four hit night that now leaves him within 3 hits to reach 200. After this season, Ichiro will have the required 10 years of MLB service to be eligible for the Hall. With his 1434 hits in Japan and 2200+ hits in the Majors, is he a lock for the Hall is he doesn't for some reason make the 3000 hit plateau? I would assume the numbers would make him a first ballot lock to make it, but I would like to know what the rest of the world thinks. I want to extend an early congratulations to Ichiro for soon having 10 consecutive years of 200+ hits. He has been one of the few bright spots in the Northwest this year.

8 comments:

  1. Yup, he's going in the Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I was never a fan of Ichiro's game. All he does is slap at a ball, and run like the dickens to first, right? I don't think I'd vote for him. But, they don't let me vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, I believe Ichiro is a first ballot hall of famer, and he will have the "magical" number of 3000 career hits just in the majors by the time he is done, and will have the world record too. Plus look at his defense in right field. How many times have you seen him throw out a runner at third or home on a direct line throw with no bounce. He is one of the most amazing outfielders that I have ever seen in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already a lock when you factor in his all-time great defensive play, but I could easily see 3500+ hits if he decides to play long enough.

    Also, what the heck do you want from a top of the order hitter, Section 36? That's part of the job description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lonestarr, that's exactly what I want from a top of the order guy. But, the question wasn't "is Ichiro a great lead-off hitter?" It was whether he should be in the HOF. Ichiro doesn't do it for me. If he gets up with a runner on, I'm not scared. Actually, I always thought the best thing to do would be to walk the #9 guy. Then, you can play regular depth and just get a force at second when Ichiro hits a ground ball. Getting a jillion his when you're up a jillion times isn't impressive to me (see Jeter, Derek). When I think of the best players in the game, it takes me too long to list Ichiro for me to put him in the hall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's in in my book. Played on some real stinker teams unfortunately.

    If he was the Yankees leadoff guy doing this it wouldn't even be a debate.

    ReplyDelete